Prep 45 mins
Cook 12 mins
I hear the main ingredient in Krispy Kreme doughnuts is potatoes. Here's a healthier doughnut- baked! From wholefoodsmarket.com
- 1 1⁄2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 3⁄4 cup whole grain amaranth
- 1⁄2 cup unbleached white flour
- Cook potatoes 20–25 minutes, until soft.
- Drain well.
- Mash potatoes with butter, cheese, salt, and pepper.
- Refrigerate until cold.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Toast amaranth for 15 minutes, shaking pan occasionally to toast evenly.
- While amaranth is toasting, work flour into potatoes.
- Split potato mixture into six equal portions.
- Roll each portion into a 7 inch rope.
- Roll each rope in toasted amaranth, then form into a donut shape.
- Place donuts on a lightly greased cookie sheet, and bake 12 minutes.