Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
I've baked this 5 times before I posted it on RecipeZaar. It's a big hit with my friends and family. It's wonderful for ham & cheese sandwiches, or sopping up the bowl from beef or chicken stew. I've made it both with sugar and with honey, with margarine and with butter. The cooking time is a guess on my part, as I set the machine to bake and fugeddabouddit. Do give it at LEAST three hours to do its thing.
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 3 cups bread flour
- 4 teaspoons sugar or 4 teaspoons honey
- 3⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- Add ingredients to hopper, according to bread machine's instructions.
- Set loaf size to 1.5 pounds.
- Set loaf time to Basic White Bread Cycle.
Great flavor and soft interior and crust exterior. Went great with a bowl of soup. Would make a good grilled cheese sandwich, I think. Made for Spring 2014 PAC.
Yummy bread, great for sandwiches or serving with soup! I made the dough in a stand mixer and baked in the oven. The bread was light and moist and the herbs did not overpower. Thanks for sharing your recipe! Made for Spring Pick-A-Chef 2013
I made this to the recipe using honey and butter, I think it was a bit too sweet for me but it was still very nice. I am going to make toast with roasted cheese, I think that will be very tasty with the bread having herbs in, and if I have any left I will make some croutons for soup. thank you Made for herb of the month. (Thyme)