Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I seem to crave lentils during the winter months. Guess it is because they are hearty, filling, and are good in soups/stews. This is an easy, cheap, satisfying meal.
- 2 cups dried lentils
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- Add the first 12 ingredients to a large soup pot.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Cover, lower heat, and simmer for 30 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Add in tomatoes, tomato sauce, and tomato paste; stir to mix.
- Cook over medium heat until thoroughly heated.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper, or hot sauce.