Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
A good warm meal on a cold night.
- 8 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried lentils (I prefer the red ones)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 -3 tablespoons minced shallots
- 4 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- soy sauce
- Put the water in a large pot with the lentils, onion, carrot, celery, potatoes, parsley, thyme, pepper, cloves and liquid smoke.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cover, and simmer for 35-45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the 2 tbsp water, shallot, and garlic in a small pan.
- Cook, stirring, until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Mix in the cumin and coriander.
- Continue to cook, stirring, for another minute.
- Add to the soup and stir.
- Remove 3 cups of the soup to a blender.
- Puree until smooth and recombine with the rest of the soup.
- Serve with a splash of soy sauce.
I would have rated this a little higher if not there being too much black pepper. I read Carol’s bio after preparing and she doesn’t take exact measurements, so I should have followed my instincts and not used a whole teaspoon of black pepper. I did however, stop at two full Tablespoons of garlic since I wanted to be able to sleep in the same room with my husband at night and not have my breath require that I leave. !! Also, there seemed to be too much of something else and I just couldn’t figure it out? Coriander maybe?? I can never go wrong with cumin so that’s not it. I will make this again as I absolutely love Lentils, but I will go easier on some of the spices. Also, I threw everything except for the shallots (which I didn’t have) into my pressure cooker and cooked on high for 10 minutes and presto—all done. It is true that you do not need to spice as much when using a pressure cooker so it’s probably my own doing! Thanks for sharing this Carol :)
This is good, been looking for a veggi lental soup but this (stew) hit the spot