Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
These pancakes are best eaten as they are made with a simple dipping sauce. If you make them in advance cover them with foil. The entire foil bundle may be reheated at 350 degrees for 5 minutes.
- 3⁄4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup rice flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon oriental sesame oil
- 6 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 -5 fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and caps finely sliced
- 1⁄3 large red pepper, cut julienne
- 1⁄3 green pepper, cut julienne
- 1 fresh hot green chili pepper, cut julienne
- 2 scallions, quartered lengthwise and then cut into 2 inch segments
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 6 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame seed oil
- Put the two flours in a bowl.
- Slowly add up to 1 1/2 cups water to make batter like a flowing cream.
- To make pancakes, put 3 tablespoons of the canola oil in a large non stick frying pan and set over medium heat.
- When hot, put in sliced mushrooms,red and green peppers, chili, and scallions.
- stir and fry for 1 minute.
- Sprinkle very lightly with salt and mix quickly.
- Now remove the vegetable mixture and turn the heat to medium low.
- Put in another tablespoon of oil and spread 1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds in center of the pan in an 8 inch circle.
- Arrange 1/3 of the vegetable mixture over the sesame seeds.
- Stir the batter and and pour 1/3 of it over the vegetable mixture to form an 8 inch pancake.
- Cover and cook on medium low heat for 5 to 6 minutes or until bottom is somewhat golden.
- Using a big spatula, turn the pancake over and cook the second side, covered for another 4 minutes.
- Uncover, turn the pancake over and cook for 2 minutes.
- Turn again and cook, uncovered, another minute or so.
- Remove the pancake.
- Cut it into wedges.
- DIPPING SAUCE:.
- Combine the soy sauce, red wine vinegar and sesame oil in small bowl for dipping.