Recipe by Inge 1505
Kidney Beans in an indian-style tomato sauce. Can be prepared ahead and reheated. Serve with bread and a fruity chutney or a yoghurt salad.
Top Review by jansbrophy
Made this last night, easy to prepare, happened to have all the ingredients on hand except green onions. Actually tasted better today when I ate the leftovers for lunch! Will definitely make again.
- 396.89 g can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 29.58 ml oil
- 7.39 ml cumin seeds, whole
- 236.59 ml onion, minced (about 1 medium)
- 22.18 ml fresh ginger, minced
- 1.23 ml dried thyme
- 236.59 ml tomatoes, diced (about 1 medium)
- 14.79 ml tomato paste
- 0.59 ml salt
- 1.23 ml pepper
- 59.14 ml fresh cilantro or 59.14 ml parsley, minced
- 1 green onion, diced
- 14.79-22.18 ml fresh green chile, minced
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a pot over medium high heat. Add cumin and onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are almost browned, 7 minutes.
- Add ginger and cook 1 minute more.
- Add tomatoes, beans, tomato paste, thyme, salt and pepper. Stir to mix, reduce heat to low, cover and let flavors blend, 13 minutes. You can prepare until this step and keep in the fridge up to 3 days.
- Remove cover and reduce liquid on high heat, stirring frequently, until beans are covered by thick sauce, 1-2 minutes. Adjust seasonings.
- Stir half of the cilantro or parsley into the beans, serve sprinkled with green onion and rest of herbs. Serve chili on the side, so that everone can add heat as they like.