Kidney Beans in an indian-style tomato sauce. Can be prepared ahead and reheated. Serve with bread and a fruity chutney or a yoghurt salad.
- 1 (14 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin seeds, whole
- 1 cup onion, minced (about 1 medium)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup tomato, diced (about 1 medium)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro or 1⁄4 cup parsley, minced
- 1 green onion, diced
- 1 -1 1⁄2 tablespoon fresh green chile, minced
- Heat oil in a pot over medium high heat. Add cumin and onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are almost browned, 7 minutes.
- Add ginger and cook 1 minute more.
- Add tomatoes, beans, tomato paste, thyme, salt and pepper. Stir to mix, reduce heat to low, cover and let flavors blend, 13 minutes. You can prepare until this step and keep in the fridge up to 3 days.
- Remove cover and reduce liquid on high heat, stirring frequently, until beans are covered by thick sauce, 1-2 minutes. Adjust seasonings.
- Stir half of the cilantro or parsley into the beans, serve sprinkled with green onion and rest of herbs. Serve chili on the side, so that everone can add heat as they like.