1/1 Photo of Savory Kidney Beans
Inge 1505's Note:
Kidney Beans in an indian-style tomato sauce. Can be prepared ahead and reheated. Serve with bread and a fruity chutney or a yoghurt salad.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (14 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds, whole
- 1 cup onion, minced (about 1 medium)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup tomato, diced (about 1 medium)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1Heat oil in a pot over medium high heat. Add cumin and onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are almost browned, 7 minutes.
- 2Add ginger and cook 1 minute more.
- 3Add tomatoes, beans, tomato paste, thyme, salt and pepper. Stir to mix, reduce heat to low, cover and let flavors blend, 13 minutes. You can prepare until this step and keep in the fridge up to 3 days.
- 4Remove cover and reduce liquid on high heat, stirring frequently, until beans are covered by thick sauce, 1-2 minutes. Adjust seasonings.
- 5Stir half of the cilantro or parsley into the beans, serve sprinkled with green onion and rest of herbs. Serve chili on the side, so that everone can add heat as they like.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Savory Kidney Beans
Serving Size: 1 (274 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 353.8
- Calories from Fat 139
- Total Fat 15.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 808.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.8 g
- Sugars 10.8 g
- Protein 12.8 g