Recipe by Need Help, Can't Cook
Full of flavor, this colorful cornbread is the perfect accompaniment to soup or salad.
- 1⁄2 red onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons canned chopped jalapenos
- 1 tablespoon bacon grease
- 3⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 1 1⁄8 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons real maple syrup
- 1 carrot, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease a 9x9-inch Pyrex baking dish.
- Sauté onion and jalapeño in bacon grease.
- Whisk together dry ingredients.
- Cut shortening into dry ingredients.
- In separate bowl, whisk together egg, cream, milk and syrup.
- Add egg mixture, carrot and onion mixture to dry ingredients. Stir by hand until just mixed.
- Pour into prepared Pyrex and bake for 35-40 minutes or until browned and done.