Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Irish soda bread with extra ingredients makes it special. Its quick and easy, try it with homemade soup
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Sift the first 5 ingredients together and stir in the caraway seed.
- Cut in the shortening til it resembles fine meal.
- Add and mix in the cheese, onion and bacon.
- Stir in the buttermilk with a fork until the dry ingredients are just.
- Turn out on a lightly floured surface and knead a few times.
- Form into a a round loaf about 1/2 inch thick and place on a.
- greased baking sheet or cast iron skillet.
- cut a cross on the top and bake for about 30 minutes.
- Yield; 1 small loaf.
- I want to add a note;.
- Master Soda Bread Mix;.
- I make up the first 7 ingredients.doubled or more -- and store it in a tight
- container ( like bisquick ). Then I just take 2 1/4 cups of the mix
- and add 1 cup of buttermilk and the rest of the ingredients, and proceed.
- as usual. This takes only a few minutes to make up the bread. Bake
- as usual. So quick and easy!
- Store the Master Mix in a cupboard for up to 4 weeks.
Love this version of soda bread so much. I followed the directions to the letter, baking in an iron skillet and the end result was great. Loved the savory blend in this recipe and the it's cornbread type of texture. Looked rustic but pretty sitting in the iron skillet. I was worried at first as the dough was VERY sticky and was hard to do any kneading - but shouldn't have been worried as the end result was great. Made for PAC Spring 2014
This was so good. I'd never had a Savory Irish Soda Bread before, am I ever happy that I tried this one. It was excellent,it had a beautiful crumb, the texture was perfect, tender and very flavorful. Loved the addition of the bacon, green onion, cheese and caraway. It was equally as good toasted with butter as it was served with Sweet Potato Chowder. A perfect pairing. Thanks so much for sharing a recipe that I will make often. Made for Pac Spring Safari 2013.