Irish soda bread with extra ingredients makes it special. Its quick and easy, try it with homemade soup
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Sift the first 5 ingredients together and stir in the caraway seed.
- Cut in the shortening til it resembles fine meal.
- Add and mix in the cheese, onion and bacon.
- Stir in the buttermilk with a fork until the dry ingredients are just.
- Turn out on a lightly floured surface and knead a few times.
- Form into a a round loaf about 1/2 inch thick and place on a.
- greased baking sheet or cast iron skillet.
- cut a cross on the top and bake for about 30 minutes.
- Yield; 1 small loaf.
- I want to add a note;.
- Master Soda Bread Mix;.
- I make up the first 7 ingredients.doubled or more -- and store it in a tight
- container ( like bisquick ). Then I just take 2 1/4 cups of the mix
- and add 1 cup of buttermilk and the rest of the ingredients, and proceed.
- as usual. This takes only a few minutes to make up the bread. Bake
- as usual. So quick and easy!
- Store the Master Mix in a cupboard for up to 4 weeks.