Recipe by gh-qwer
Rice is a staple in most of my meals, but plain rice can get boring. I'm offering this recipe to anyone who wants to put that extra kick in their rice if they ever get bored with plain rice. Its simple, not too overwhelming, and goes well with any entree. AND it smells so good! This recipe was from one of my fave cookbooks by Bobbie Hinman & Millie Snyder, "Lean,Luscious AND Meatless".
Top Review by shelbyrose
I am so happy I found this recipe! It is exactly what I was looking for....a way to kick up plain brown rice and keep it virtually sodium free. This recipe is just what the doctor ordered for those of us on a low/no salt diet. Thank you so much for posting this, Chef #461498!
- 1 3⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dill weed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3⁄4 cup brown rice, uncooked (5oz)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium saucepan, combine water and spices. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Add rice. When water boils again reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 45 minutes, until rice is tender and most of the liquid has cooked out.
- Remove from heat, fluff rice with a fork, replace cover, and let stand 5 minutes before serving.