Recipe by The Spice Guru
My recipe for a savory old-fashioned holiday poultry dressing. Recipe may be halved and baked in an 1 - 1 1/2 quart baking dish.
- 16 cups old-fashioned white bread or 16 cups mild sourdough bread, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1⁄2 cup salted butter
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced celery (including tops)
- 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 2⁄3 cup small black olives, rinsed and drained (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup minced flat leaf parsley
- 3 tablespoons finely diced carrots
- 2 teaspoons dalmatian rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon ground celery salt (Tradewinds brand)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground winter savory
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground fennel
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground rosemary
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground thyme
- 3⁄4 lb cooked crumbled bulk sausage
- 1 1⁄4 cups turkey broth
- 2 beaten eggs (optional) or 1⁄4 cup turkey broth (optional)
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry (optional) or 2 tablespoons dry white wine (optional) or 2 tablespoons turkey broth (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- NOTE: I RECOMMEND MARION-KAY GROUND (WINTER) SAVORY. OTHERWISE, SUBSTITUTE WINTER SAVORY WITH 1/8 TEASPOON GROUND CORIANDER, 1/8 TEASPOON GROUND PARSLEY, 1/8 TEASPOON GROUND THYME, 1 PINCH GROUND DRIED LEMON PEEL, 1 PINCH GROUND MINT, AND 1 PINCH GROUND ROSEMARY. (STEP ONE): PREHEAT oven to 300°F.
- CUT french bread into 1-inch cubes; SPREAD bread cubes single-layer onto baking sheets; BAKE bread cubes at least 10 minutes, or until bread is dry and toast-like in texture, without being browned; TRANSFER bread cubes into a very large bowl; RAISE oven temperature to 350°F.
- PREP all vegetables to specifications (2 cups chopped onions, 1 1/2 cups sliced or diced celery, 1 cup medium diced mushrooms, 1/4 cup minced flat-leaf parsley, 3 tablespoons finely diced carrots).
- GRIND all of the SEASONING spices for dressing in a clean spice mill or coffee grinder; MEASURE ground seasonings into a small re-sealable container (2 teaspoons dalmatian rubbed sage, 1 teaspoon celery salt, 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander, 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger, 1/2 teaspoon ground winter savory, 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice, 1/4 teaspoon ground fennel, 1/4 teaspoon ground rosemary, 1/4 teaspoon ground thyme); SEAL the container with spices; SHAKE well to combine; SET aside.
- MELT 1/2 cup salted butter in a large saucepan over medium-low heat; RAISE heat to medium; ADD vegetables (except olives for now); STIR the prepared SEASONING into the saute mixture.
- SAUTE mixture for 8 minutes, stirring often; ADD olives and saute for two minutes longer (NOTE: If using sausage in recipe, you may brown and crumble it in the previous saute pan).
- ADD saute mixture (including cooked crumbled sausage) into bowl with bread cubes; FOLD mixture together for 2 minutes until very well blended (make sure every morsel is evenly moistened).
- MIX the BROTH ingredients in a bowl (1 1/4 cups turkey broth, 2 beaten eggs (or 1/4 cup additional turkey broth), and 2 tablespoons dry sherry or white wine (optional, or replace with turkey broth); GRADUALLY trickle broth mixture into bread cubes and vegetables in bowl, then fold mixture until mixed very well.
- SPREAD mixture into a 2-3 quart baking dish (NOTE: FOR MOIST DRESSING, COVER WITH FOIL BEFORE BAKING; FOR A CRISP OUTSIDE/SOFT INSIDE DRESSING, LEAVE UNCOVERED); BAKE for 30 minutes.
- SERVE with your favorite poultry and enjoy!