Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I'm trying to develope recipes for hardtack that actually taste good (hard! but tasty). This one came out pretty good, but I'm gonna keep working at it. If anyone has suggestions - pls send 'em to me.
- 1 cup unbleached white flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup toasted sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons flax seeds
- 1⁄2 cup dehydrated onion
- 1 tablespoon butter (or Crisco or Lard)
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 cup water
- Add all the dry ingredients to a Food Processor and mix briefly.
- Add the water and mix until the mixture forms a dough ball. It will be sticky/soft.
- Turn out on a floured board and knead with enough flour to keep from sticking until it forms a firm ball.
- Roll out the dough to desired thickness (I use about 1/4 inch).
- Cut into squares of desired size and use a fork to pierce each square several times (3-4).
- Place squares on a baking sheet on Parchment Paper. Set the baking sheet in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes. Remove and turn the Hardtack. Return to oven for 10-15 minutes. Remove and cool on paper towels. You may want to adjust the temp and cooking times for your oven. The goal is to cook to a light toasty brown. The hardtack will be very hard, so nibble carefully.