Recipe by PickleLover
A hearty meat and potato dish , so warm and filling yet so easy! This is From A Very old Set of Betty Crocker cook books, modified a little for more modern tastes :)
Top Review by waynejohn1234
This is 60's comfort food and very tasty. We do not like canned vegetables (and it does not need them) so omitted the green beans. This can also be put in a double pie crust and you have a lovely meat pit which can be eaten even cold.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed tomato soup, undiluted (or 1 jar of beef gravy, I prefer the soup)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (more or less to your taste)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can French style green beans, drained
- 1⁄2 cup light sour cream
- 4 -6 potatoes, boiled until tender (number depends on size, can prepare 4-6 servings of instant if you prefer also)
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- 1⁄2 cup shredded American cheese (or 4-5 slices)
Directions See How It's Made
- In Large skillet cook beef, celery, and onion until meat is browned and vegetables are crisp-tender. Meanwhile cube and boil potatoes in salted water until tender and drain.
- Stir in Worcestershire, pepper, green beans, tomato soup, ketchup, and 1/4 cup of water, and simmer over medium-low heat for 15 minute
- Whip potatoes with sour cream, chives, salt, garlic powder and hot water as needed until desired consistency, added a little bit at a time. (any way you typically prefer to do your mashed potatoes will work fine as well).
- Spoon the mashed potatoes in dollops over the mixture, sprinkle with the cheese and a little paprika, cover and heat until the cheese melts.
- Enjoy! :).