Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
A unique recipe that I got from a friend. This is a crustless quiche that uses grits. Its delicious served with roasted or steamed asparagus and fresh sliced tomatoes. Even friends who don't like grits love this. Tell them it's polenta instead! hehe
- 1 2⁄3 cups water
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2⁄3 cup quick-cooking grits, uncooked
- 1 1⁄4 cups swiss cheese, grated and divided
- 8 large eggs
- 8 ounces cooked ham, diced
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- Bring first 6 ingredients to a boil in a medium saucepan; gradually whisk in grits. Cover, reduce heat, simmer while whisking occasionally, 5-7 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup of cheese, stirring until cheese melts. Remove from heat and let stand 10 minutes. Lightly beat 2 of the eggs and stir into grits mixture; pour into lightly greased 10 inch deep pie pan or springform lined with foil.
- Bake at 350°F for 20 minutes; remove from oven. Increase oven temperature to 400°F.
- Sauté ham and onions over medium heat until onions are soft. Pour ham mixture over grits.
- Whisk last 6 eggs with 1/2 cup milk and pour over ham. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake until eggs are set, about 25 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting. Garnish with chopped chives if desired.