Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a really wonderful treat, good for breakfast with muffins and fruit, or lunch or dinner with a nice green salad. I prefer making the shell-less mini quiches. They fit my husband's low-carb needs, and they reheat well in the oven or microwave, making them great quick breakfasts or snacks. They would also work well for a brunch buffet.
- 1 prebaked sweet tart crust (optional)
- 1⁄8 lb deli ham, cut in 1/4 inch cubes (I prefer Boar's Head Sundried Tomato and Rosemary ham)
- 2 shallots, minced
- 3 ounces sliced baby portabella mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1 -2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup gruyere or 1⁄2 cup emmenthaler cheese (plus 1/3 extra if using quiche shell)
- Saute ham, shallots and mushrooms in oil until mushrooms are wilted and shallots are clear.
- Beat eggs, add cream, salt and pepper.
- (If not using tart shell, also add 1 T Dijon mustard.) Option 1: Quiche in tart shell.
- Brush pre-baked tart shell with 2 T Dijon mustard.
- Scatter over ham mixture, then cover with 1/2 c shredded cheese.
- Pour over egg mixture, then scatter about 1/3 c shrdded cheese over the entire tart.
- Bake at 375* for 25-30 minutes, or until custard sets.
- Let sit before slicing.
- Option 2: Mini Quiches without pastry shell.
- Grease 10 muffin cups.
- Divide ham mixture evenly among cups.
- Divide half cup cheese evenly among cups.
- Divide custard mixture evenly among cups.
- Bake at 375 for 10-15 minutes or until custard is puffed up and browned on top.
I've made this a couple of times now, and we love it. I do the no-crust muffin tin version. I use an 8 oz container of the EggBeaters stuff (for DH South Beach diet)and add half & half to get to 3 cups in my measuring cup. I ramp up the quantities of the other ingredients a little, too. This gets me 12 quiches. If I don't have shallots on hand, I use finely minced yellow onion and a couple of garlic cloves. Makes a nice alternative to the spinach quiche recipe in the SB Diet book. Very tasty!