Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Adapted from a BHG recipe. The flavor was better, to me, on the second day.
Top Review by KauaiCarolAnn
I figured since the option to use different beans was there, I'd opt for a can each of dark red kidney, black and great northern beans along with some frozen corn for color. It worked well. No dried thyme so snipped a sprig of fresh rosemary and let simmer for about 20 minutes in the soup. Leftovers were yummy and because I like spicy stuff, added some green Tabasco the 2nd night. Mahalo!
- 4 (15 ounce) cans navy beans or 4 (15 ounce) cans great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced cooked ham
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth (low sodium if desired)
- 3 cups water