Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
These savory cheese twists are slightly salty and are good served with a creamy soup and salad or with a meat entree. Use a stand mixer to make the dough or make the dough by hand.
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup gruyere cheese, grated
- 3 teaspoons marmite or 3 teaspoons vegemite or 3 teaspoons other yeast extract, spread
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Mix together flour, mustard powder and salt in a large bowl.
- Cut in cold butter pieces into the flour mixture until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Mix in the cheese, parsley and marmite/vegemite.
- Mix in the whole egg until mixture is bound together in a nice dough.
- Roll out the dough to 1/8th inch thickness on a lightly floured surface.
- Cut dough into 1 by 3 inch strips.
- Then knead any scraps into a ball, roll out and continue to cut strips until dough is used.
- Twist strips once or twice and position them on an ungreased baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg yolk with 2 tsp cold water.
- Brush twists with the egg wash and bake for 15 minutes until twists are golden brown.
- Transfer to a cooling rack.
- Serve at room temperature.