1/2 Photos of Savory Gruye're Garlic Bread (Abm)
1 hr 30 mins
The rich flavor of Gruyere cheese blends nicely with the garlic forming a full bodied loaf. Gruyère is generally known as one of the finest cheeses for baking, having a distinctive but not overpowering taste. If you can't find Gruyere, traditional Swiss cheese can be substituted. I have adapted this recipe to be made in an automatic bread maker on dough cycle, then formed into a loaf. The cheese needs to be shredded coarsley or chopped into 1/8-1/4" pieces.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/4 cups bread flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 3 tablespoons instant potato flakes
- 2 1/2 teaspoons yeast
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup gruyere cheese (shredded coarsley)
- 1 egg yolk (beaten and 1 T. water added to glaze loaf with)
- 1Heat milk and butter in microwave for 60 seconds.
- 2In a bread machine pan, place warm milk/butter mixture, well beaten egg, minced garlic, shredded gruyere cheese, then; flours, potato flakes and salt, in the center of dry ingredients; add yeast.
- 3Process on dough cycle as your bread machine directs.
- 4When dough is done, punch down, form in a elongated loaf on cornmeal covered baking sheet.
- 5Cover with a light towel, let rise until double about 30-45 minutes, cut 3 slits acoss, brush loaf with egg yolk and water mixture, bake at 375 for about 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- 6Cool on a wire rack, makes one loaf.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Savory Gruye're Garlic Bread (Abm)
Serving Size: 1 (66 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 177.3
- Calories from Fat 54
- Total Fat 6.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Cholesterol 44.6 mg
- Sodium 251.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 6.9 g