1/4 Photos of Savory Golden Lentil and Sweet Potato Soup
Matty H.'s Note:
The combination of sweet, savory, and spicy flavors makes this hearty (check out that protein and vitamin A content!) but healthy soup a perfect choice for whatever you happen to be in the mood for. The spices I chose gives it almost an Indian or Moroccan feel; whichever gastronomic prefix sounds tastier to you. It serves well both hot and cold and is delicious over some steamed rice or any other starchy filler.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup dried lentils, soaked
- 3/4 cup sweet potato, peeled and cubed (or 1 medium sized)
- 1 cup red onion, diced (or 1 medium sized)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth or 1 1/2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1/2 tablespoon fennel seed
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- salt, to taste
- 1Soak the lentils in roughly 1 cup of cold water or green tea for at least 30 minutes.
- 2In a medium-sized stock pot over medium-high heat, sauté the diced onions and garlic in 1/4 cup of the chicken broth until the onions become translucent (around 5 minutes).
- 3Add the carrots, sweet potatoes, and red wine. Cook for around 1 minute or until the wine becomes very fragrant.
- 4Add the lentils, water, and chicken broth. Bring to a rolling boil, stirring the mixture occasionally.
- 5Reduce the heat. Add the red pepper flakes and fennel seed and cover, allowing the soup to simmer for about 20 minutes or until the lentils and sweet potatoes begin to fall apart.
- 6Remove the lid and add the spices. If you would like to get a thicker consistency, kick the heat back up and reduce until it hits the desired thickness. You may want to adjust the amounts of salt and pepper, depending on your own tastes.
- 7Serve the soup either on its own or over a starch with a dollop of raita (thick yogurt mixed with vegetables) or sour cream. Garnish with whatever you like (Featured in the photo is yogurt, carrot, and a dash of paprika.).
Browse Our Top Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Savory Golden Lentil and Sweet Potato Soup
Serving Size: 1 (223 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 138.9
- Calories from Fat 11
- Total Fat 1.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 62.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.6 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 7.7 g