Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is an adopted recipe from Mean Chef.
- 6 medium sweet potatoes
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1 dried red chili pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 inch fresh gingerroot, chopped
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 3 -4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Place scrubbed whole sweet potatoes in a baking dish and cook until tender (45 minutes to 1 hour+ depending on size).
- In a saucepan, heat oil and pepper over medium high heat until browned on all sides (2-3 minutes).
- Discard pepper, add garlic and ginger and cook until barely tender (3-4 minutes).
- Stir in salt and balsamic vinegar to taste and simmer over low heat until ready to serve.
- When tender, split each potato, drizzle with ginger sauce and serve hot.
I thought this was a great alternative to the traditional marshmallows and sugar topping, but I was outvoted by my guests. Thanks for the recipe! I'll be making this for myself and laugh while they head for the gym!
I loved this recipe. The potatoes turned out great. My family just slurped it down. No more marshmallows on my sweet potatoes!!