Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Michele (our teacher) says this is the easiest dough to make! This is the dough she teaches someone who SWEARS they can't make dough. It is easy and boosts confidence. As long as you use chilled butter, cold water and don't overwork the mixture, you should have excellent results every time. I can say it TASTES GREAT, because I did get to eat some!! This recipe will make 2 large or 8 small galettes.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 6 ounces butter, cold
- 1⁄2 cup ice cold water
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, salt and the pepper.
- Cut in the butter, using your fingers or a pastry cutter, until the mixture resembles coarse cornmeal -- work very quickly so that the butter does not become too warm.
- Add the ice water and press the dough gently until it JUST comes together -- DO NOT overmix--it's okay if there appears to be unmoistened flour.
- Spread a sheet of plastic wrap over a flat surface and turn the dough out onto it.
- Grip the ends of the plastic wrap and pull them together, towards the center, so that the wrap presses the dough together.
- Wrap the dough into a ball and refrigerate it for at least 30 minute (At this point, the dough can be wrapped a second time and stored in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- To make the pastry, cut the dough into 2 or 8 equal pieces, depending on whether you will make large or individual galettes.
- Set the dough on a floured work surface and use the palm of your hand to pat it flat.
- Using a rolling pin, roll the dough into a circle about 1/8-inch thick. Large galettes should be about 14 inches in diameter - small galettes should be about 6-8 inches in diameter.
- Set the dough on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper and keep chilled until ready to fill. (The dough can also be frozen after it has been rolled; be sure to wrap it tightly.).
- Fill with whatever your heart desires and bake in a 400ºF oven for about 35-40 min, depending on what you fill it with. The pastry should be nice and golden brown.
- **Variation: For sweet galettes, use 1/4 tsp salt and add 1 tsp sugar at the same time.