1 hr 15 mins
Jenny Frenny's Note:
This is a wonderful recipe any time of the year, but especially delicious when summer produce is at it's peak. This is a incredibly delicious meal in itself. One of my mom's tried and true recipes that she has had for years.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For unsweetened tart pastry
- 2 cups flour, sifted
- 1 1/4 cups butter, broken into pieces and softened
- 1/4 cup ice water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For eggplant filling
- 4 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 large eggplant, sliced into 1/4 to 1/2 inch slices
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 3 medium tomatoes, peeled
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 large green pepper, sliced into rings
- 1/2 teaspoon grushed garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, for topping when served
- 1To make pastry:.
- 2Mix sifted flour, salt on a flat surface. Make a well in the center of the flour. Put butter and water in the well and mix with fingers until center ingredients make a paste. Work butter paste into the flour and knead the dough lightly.
- 3Form into a ball and wrap with plastic wrap. Chill in refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- 4After chilling, roll dough out to 1/8 inch thick or press dough right into a deep dish pie plate with fingers.
- 5To make the pie:.
- 6Saute the eggplant slices in the vegetable oil until softened and drain on paper towel.
- 7To peel tomatos, drop them into boiling water for boililng water for 15 seconds and remove them immediately, dunk into cold water and the skins should slip right off. Slice when cool enough to handle.
- 8Sprinkle the bottom of the pie shell with 2 Tbs of parmesan cheese.
- 9Layer the pie in this order: 1/2 of eggplant slices , 1/2 of tomato slices, 1/2 of onion slices, 1/2 of green pepper rings, 1/4 tsp crushed garlic, 1 Tbs olive oil, salt, pepper, 1 Tbs chopped basil, and1 Tbs parmesan cheese .
- 10Repeat the ingredient layers for a second layer.
- 11Bake in a 350 degree oven for 40 to 45 minutes. or until vegetables are tender and the crust's edge is golden brown.
- 12Serve the pie in wedges with parmesan cheese for topping.
Browse Our Top Savory Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Savory Eggplant Pie
Serving Size: 1 (261 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 826.8
- Calories from Fat 607
- Total Fat 67.5 g
- Saturated Fat 29.8 g
- Cholesterol 119.2 mg
- Sodium 779.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.8 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 14.3 g