Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I know most people know Dutch Babies as a sweet breakfast food- but not in my family! Sausage and cheese make this breakfast classic more hearty.
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup cheese, shredded (use a good melting type like cheddar or Jack)
- 1 cup cooked sausage (you can use crumbly sausage or even better, smoked sausage cut into bite sized pieces)
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Put margarine and sausage into the baking dish and place in the oven to heat about 5 minutes before you add the batter. Keep a close eye on it because it will burn if you let it.
- Blend eggs, milk, salt, and pepper in a blender or with a mixer. Add the flour 1/4c at a time until just incorporated evenly (don't overmix otherwise you'll activate the gluten in the flour and have a thick dutch baby rather than a fluffy one).
- Add batter immediately after it's ready to hot baking dish.
- Sprinkle cheese over the batter and bake for 20-25 minutes, until puffy and Golden brown.
- Let it cool a few minutes before cutting- it will deflate during this period.
- Note: this is my family recipe, and it was is told to me as a ratio- 1/4 milk & flour for every egg- feel free to go up or down a size on your baking dish just adjusting according to the ratio!
Had left-over Italian sausage from Saturday Pizza Night and also used cheddar cheese. Your directions resulted in a fluffy and perfectly textured Dutch Baby. My wife used a little maple syrup on hers and it was suprisingly good. Will be a regular on our breakfast table. Thanks for posting...Had to come back and rave about this breakfast again. We've served this to guests many times now and always get raves. If you are reading this review, this is a 10 star recipe you have to try (try maple syrup or hot sauce on top). Thanks again for one of our most used breakfasts.
I tried this savory recipe with chicken, onion, bell peppers, garlic and bacon! So yummy!! Added 3 eggs, 3/4 cup gluten free flour mix, 1/2 cup almond milk, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, garlic powder and onion salt. So good!!!30 minutes! Gluten and dairy free too!!!!
I always add green apple with mine too. It takes so good with the sausage, cheese and syrup. :)