Recipe by Dee Licious
Found this on Allrecipes.com by PattiVerde. I simplified it by using canned verde sauce. Everyone who has tried it not only loves it but wants more!
Top Review by offers65
WOW! I made these enchiladas for a dinner party and they were an ABSOLUTE hit! At the end of dinner my friend turned to me and said, "your enchiladas were outstanding! They had just enough heat to make them interesting!" The only thing I added was in bought an extra can of Las Palmas sauce. I simmered my shredded chicken in half the sauce before rolling and I didn't have enough after rolling tortillas when rolling. I opened an extra can and poured some over the top before baking. The Las Palmas sauce (and the cheese) is what makes the dish!
- 2 chicken breast halves
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄4 white onion (chunk)
- 1⁄4 white onion (chopped)
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 (28 ounce) can green enchilada sauce (I use Las Palmas)
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups Kraft Mexican Style Finely Shredded Four Cheese
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 (4 1/2 ounce) canschopped green chilies (drained)
- 12 corn tortillas (fresh as possible)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan, combine chicken breast with chicken broth, one quarter onion, a clove of garlic, and 2 teaspoons salt. Bring to a boil, and then boil for 20 minutes.
- Set chicken aside to cool, and discard onion and garlic. When cool enough to handle, shred chicken with your hands.
- Pour green chile enchilada sauce in a medium saucepan, and bring to a low boil.
- Pour oil in a frying pan, and allow to get very hot. Slightly fry tortillas one by one in hot oil, setting each on a paper towel afterwards to soak some of the oil.
- Finally, dip slightly fried tortillas in low-boiling green chile enchilada sauce for just a moment to cover.
- After frying the tortillas and dipping in the green chile enchilada sauce, mix up the cooked shredded chicken with just enough sour cream to bind it, the onions, chopped green chiles, and 1 cup cheese.
- Fill each tortilla with the chicken mixture, and a little green chile enchilada sauce. Roll them up, put them in 9X13 can, and cover with remaining green chile enchilada sauce and remaining 1 cup shredded mexican cheese,.
- Bake in a 425 degree oven until cheese is melty (20 min?).
- Top with crumbled/shredded cheese, chopped onion, and chopped cilantro and serve.