1 hr 5 mins
Raquel Grinnell's Note:
This is an Emeril Lagasse recipe that has rave reviews on the Food Network site; I just wanted to post it here so that I don't lose it. I'll be doing it for Xmas morning; if anyone tries it before then let me know what you think! The recipe for his "Essence" seasoning is included, but it can be purchased at almost any grocery store nowadays, under Emeril's label. Add more veggies, omit meats for a tasty vegetarian option.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cups yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 6 ounces Canadian bacon, roughly chopped
- 6 ounces hot sausage, removed from casings and crumbled
- 8 large eggs
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 8 stale croissants, torn into 1/2-inch pieces (about 7 cups)
- 2 cups grated fontina or 2 cups grated gouda cheese
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
Spice Essence (use 1 tsp)
- 1Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 3-quart casserole dish and set aside.
- 2In a large skillet, melt 1 1/2 tablespoons of the butter over medium-high heat. Add the onions, reduce the heat to medium, and cook, stirring, until soft and lightly caramelized, about 15 minutes.
- 3In a medium skillet, melt another 1/2 tablespoon butter over medium-high heat. Add the Canadian bacon and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Add the sausage to the skillet and cook, stirring, until browned, about 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
- 4In a large bowl, beat the eggs. Add the milk, cream, salt, Essence, and pepper and whisk to combine. Add the croissants and let sit for 5 minutes. Add the sausage, bacon, onions, Fontina cheese, stir together, and let sit for 5 to 10 minutes. Pour into the prepared dish and bake until almost completely set, 35 to 45 minutes. Cover with aluminum foil if it's browning too much.
- 5In a small bowl, melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter in the microwave, then combine with the bread crumbs and Parmesan. Uncover the pudding and evenly cover with the bread crumb mixture. Return to the oven, increase the heat to 375 degrees F and bake until completely set in the center and golden brown on top, about 15 minutes.
- 6Serve hot.
- 7Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):.
- 82 1/2 tablespoons paprika.
- 92 tablespoons salt.
- 102 tablespoons garlic powder.
- 111 tablespoon black pepper.
- 121 tablespoon onion powder.
- 131 tablespoon cayenne pepper.
- 141 tablespoon dried oregano.
- 151 tablespoon dried thyme.
- 16Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
- 17Yield: 2/3 cup.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Savory Croissant Breakfast Pudding
Serving Size: 1 (363 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 828.7
- Calories from Fat 509
- Total Fat 56.6 g
- Saturated Fat 30.4 g
- Cholesterol 359.9 mg
- Sodium 3082.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 13.7 g
- Protein 35.5 g