Prep 14 mins
Cook 45 mins
Crispy on the outside, creamy on the inside sooo satisfying yet so simple
- 4 cups sweet onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup mexican mix grated cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 -4 tablespoons olive oil
- fresh ground black pepper
- red pepper flakes (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease and flour 8x8 or 7x11 baking dish.
- Carmelize the onions in 1-2 tablespoons of oil. Do not allow to burn. Set aside.
- Stir cornmeal and salt into 1 cup warm water. Add 1 cup boiling water and bring to a boil over medium heat stirring constantly. Lower temperature and continue stirring until the consistency of heavy batter.
- Remove from heat and stir in 2/3 of the onions and 3/4 of the cheese. Mix well.
- Pour into baking dish and smooth to level. Top with reserved onions and cheese. Drizzle remaining olive oil over top. Sprinkle with freshly grated black pepper and red pepper flakes.
- Bake 40-45 minutes or until top is golden and sides have pulled away from dish.
- Allow to sit for 10 minutes to set, then cut into servings.
I followed the recipe exactly. It came out great. I'll be making this again soon.
not much to add to other poster...except...lol I have no such thing as a square pan...hate cakes and baking in general...so I used a pie plate...and wedges. But hey what the heck...it all got eaten!! SOOOO GOOOD!!!!
What I can only give 5 stars, this deserves more!!! Made for Fall 09 PAC Premie Adoption. Made exactly per the recipe except that instead of cornmeal I used Polenta. At first I was skeptical about this recipe because I love polenta and have never had it baked this way, but Ohhhhh My Goodness this is so spectacular and tasty. Definately worth making again and again, thank you so much for a great recipe.