Prep 4 hrs 50 mins
Cook 0 mins
From Cooking light Cookbook, 1989. Haven't tried it yet. I guessed on time to prepare. Makes 6 servings at 86 calories per 1/2 cup serving.
- 1 1⁄4 lbs parsnips, scraped, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon rind, grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- Combine parsnip, onion and garlic in a medium saucepan; cover with water and bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until parsnips are tender.
- Remove from heat; drain well.
- Melt margarine in a heavy sauepan over low heat; add flour, stirring until smooth.
- Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Gradually add milk; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thickened and bubbly.
- Remove from heat and stir in rosemary, lemon rind, pepper and salt.
- Add reserved vegetables; toss gently.
- Serve immediately.