Recipe by tisnewfiegirl
This creamy smooth onion side dish is a must for Christmas and Thanksgiving. My family's always after me to make it much more often. There's usually no leftovers. Flat parsley has more flavor than curly.
- 1 (1 lb) bag frozen pearl onions
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook frozen onions according to package directions.
- Melt butter in a sauce pan over very low heat.
- Whisk in about 1/2 T flour, whisking well (and constantly) until smooth. When it bubbles allow it to simmer for about a minute, constantly whisking.
- Repeat step 3 until all flour is used. This will be very thick.
- Add milk about 1/8 cup at a time, whisking constantly until smooth and allowing it to simmer (still whisking) about a minute after mixture becomes smooth.
- Drain onions and let them steam off most of the excess water. Add to sauce.
- Chop parsley fine and add to mixture. Allow to simmer about a minute, stirring constantly with a mixing spoon.
- Transfer to serving dish and garnish with paprika.