This recipe is a result of trying different combinations over the years. It will continue to evolve because, for me, a recipe is just a starting point when I cook. Country-style ribs are not really ribs in the true sense, they are meatier and often are boneless. But the end results are just as delicious! These are good served with a tossed green or Caesar salad and Savory Onion Potatoes.
- 4 -5 lbs country-style spareribs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 (5/8 ounce) packets Italian salad dressing mix (I use Good Season's Zesty Italian)
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup catsup
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 (12 ounce) jar chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon frank's hot sauce (more or less to taste)
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Place spare ribs in a large bowl or gallon size zip-lock bag.
- Add olive oil and zesty Italian dressing packets.
- Mix well. Refrigerate and marinade for at least 1 hour. (You can leave it in the marinade over night if you want).
- Microwave on high for 10-15 minutes, or until ribs are brown, but not cooked through. I microwave them in the bag but you can put them in a microwave safe dish if you prefer. (I use a freezer bag which is thicker and holds up to the heat. I open the seal to vent and place it in a bowl or on a plate - just in case - but have never had a problem).
- While ribs are in microwave, combine the remaining ingredients in a medium saucepan and cook over medium heat until well dissolved and heated through.
- Remove ribs from bag and place in a deep 9 x 13 pan that has been prepared with non-stick cooking spray.
- Pour sauce over ribs, covering evenly.
- Bake for 1 hour, until ribs are cooked through.
- Baste occasionally, if desired.
- NOTE:***These can also be cooked on the grill with delicious results, just baste them frequently and watch them carefully so they do not burn.