Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe is my Mom's and she says she got the original from the side of a Albers Corn Meal box. All I know is that I loved this as a kid and still do and it was always a huge hit with my kids, picky as they are. NOTE: I frequently cheat and use one of the cornbread muffin mixes that come in in the small blue and white box (to avoid naming the particular brand), rather than making the cornbread from scratch.
- 1 lb lean pork sausage
- 1 (12 ounce) can whole kernel corn
- 2 1⁄2 cups tomato juice
- 1 (12 ounce) can cut green beans
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup milk or 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cornbread topping:.
- Mix ingredients togehter only to moisten.
- Lightly brown the sauaage over medium heat and drain.
- Stir flour in with meat.
- Slowly add tomato juice while stirring and cook to thicken.
- Drain corn and beans, reserving liquid.
- Add to meat mixture.
- If sauce/meat mixture gets too thick, thin with reserved vegetable juices or more tomato juice.
- Pour meat mixture into 2 quart casserole.
- Top with cornbread dough dropped by spoonful.
- Bake at 375 degrees until browned and bubbly, about 25 minutes.