Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a lovely side dish that can be enjoyed for Brunch, lunch or dinner.. Great flavor. I increased the hot sauce from the original recipe so cut back if you like mild. This recipe with a few minor changes by me is from "Cooking Pleasures" the official magazine of the "Cooking Club of America"
- 5 ears corn, husks & silk removed,scraped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon denzels hot pepper sauce or 1⁄2 teaspoon other hot pepper sauce
- 1⁄2 cup lightly packed chopped fresh basil
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Generously butter a 4 cup low baking dish (gratin dish).
- Scrape your corn off the husks- To do this you run a paring knife down the middle of each row of corn, hold the ear over a large bowl and with the back of a spoon scrape the ear from top to bottom- this removes the juice and pulp but leaves the tough skins of the kernals behind.
- You should have apprx 1 1/2 cups of corn pulp.
- In a bowl whisk the flour, cornmeal& eggs until very smooth.
- Whisk in the egg yolks, milk, butter salt& hot pepper sauce.
- Stir in the basil& corn pulp.
- Pour into the baking dish bake 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
We love corn pudding! Mine was (oops) borderline overcooked so be careful. This was delicious. Made for"I've saved all these recipes!" March Diabetic Tag.
I took this lovely casserole to a friend's brunch this morning. Everyone asked for the recipe. I used fresh supersweet corn from the farm stand and fresh basil from my garden. Also used 1/2 tsp. salt (VS 1/4 tsp.) The fresh basil is what made this special.
i love corn puddings and have several recipes posted, but i loved this one for the low fat content, ease of prep, and the short cooking time.i did use 1/4 c skim milk and 1/4 c half and half, otherwise followed the recipe adding extra hot sauce and a few twists of freshly ground nutmeg. i chopped up fresh basil from my garden, and totally forgot to add it, brain freeze! we really enjoyed this.