Prep 45 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal, preferably stone ground
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1⁄4 cup corn kernel (fresh or frozen)
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1⁄4 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- Position oven rack in center of oven; preheat to 400°; butter or spray 12 regular-size muffin cups; place muffin pan on a baking sheet.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, chili powder, salt, baking soda, and black pepper.
- In a large glass measuring cup or another bowl, whisk the buttermilk, melted butter and egg yolk together until well blended.
- Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry ingredients and, with the whisk or rubber spatula, gently but quickly stir to blend.
- Do not worry about being thorough—the batter will be lumpy.
- Stir in corn kernels, jalapeno, red pepper, and cilantro.
- Divide batter evenly among muffin cups.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until tops are golden and pick comes out clean.
- Transfer pan to a rack and cool for 5 minutes before carefully removing each muffin.