Recipe by chia
from fine cooking, this is a wonderful recipe to adapt to your personal tastes. this recipe is vegetarian, but you can add meats, change the type of cheese and use vegetables that you have on hand- be creative. I made this for the break fast last week end, and my guests just loved it.
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1 pinch nutmeg (optional)
- butter or oil, for the pan
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 red pepper, diced
- 1 small zucchini, quartered lengthwise and sliced
- 1⁄2 cup grated gruyere cheese
- 2 tablespoons snipped chives
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
Directions See How It's Made
- heat oven to 425.
- butter or oil a 2 quart au gratin or 7x11 pyrex dish.
- for the batter:.
- put cornstarch in a medium bowl.
- whisk in 1/2 c milk until smooth.
- whisk in eggs and egg yolks until smooth.
- gradually add remaining ingredients.
- (you can also mix this in a blender).
- for filling:.
- heat oil in a saute pan.
- add onions and red pepper, saute 2-3 minutes.
- add zucchini and mushrooms, saute until softened and liquid is gone.
- arrange the filling in the prepared dish.
- sprinkle with cheese and herbs.
- pour batter over all.
- bake until top is golden brown, and custard is set, 25-30 minutes.
- let it sit for 30 minutes before serving.