Recipe by 2Bleu
Very tough and inexpensive cuts of meat, made tender and delicious with a wonderful onion flavor and (if you prefer), some vegetables.
Top Review by Sharon123
I made this for my DH for dinner and he enjoyed it with biscuits. I used veg. broth instead of wine, Towards the end I added in some already cooked green beans. Thanks for a nice dinner!
- 2 lbs boneless chuck roast (or Pot Roast)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup flour (for dredging)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 1⁄2 cup red wine (or chicken broth)
- 2 cups baby carrots
- 3 potatoes, cleaned and quartered
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 1 cup green beans
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 250°F (low). Rub the salt, pepper, and brown sugar into all the sides of the roast. Coat roast with flour.
- In a large dutch oven, heat oil and butter over med-high heat. Sear roast on both sides.
- Remove roast, and add onion to the pot (the liquid may become blackend, this is from the sugar and is normal). Add the wine, reduce heat to medium and cook onion about 1 minute to deglaze the pot.
- Place roast back into dutch oven. Cover and place in oven. Bake for 4 hours.
- Add baby carrots and cubed potatoes. Season with italian seasoning, then place green beans over top. Cover and continue cooking for an additional 1 hour.