Prep 5 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This is a family favorite. Adapted from Quick Cooking.
- 4 bone-in chicken breast halves
- 4 bone-in chicken thighs
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) envelope onion soup mix
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄4 cup prepared Italian salad dressing
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 14 -16 hamburger buns, split
- Place chicken in crockpot.
- Sprinkle with soup mix and garlic salt.
- Pour dressing and water over chicken.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours.
- Remove chicken and cool slightly.
- Skim fat from cooking juices.
- Remove chicken from bones and cut into bite-size pieces and return to crockpot.
- Serve with a slotted spoon on buns.
- I have also used boneless chicken pieces and cut them up before placing in the crockpot. You just need to adjust cooking time if doing it this way.
I used boneless chicken breasts as well. Easy to put together in the morning....and then the sandwiches came together quickly at dinner time. Thanks for the recipe!
I used boneless chicken breast and it worked great. I would recommend using half the onion soup mix if you use only 4 breast though. The meat was was rather salty. I also used fat free Italian dressing. The whole family enjoyed the sandwiches and agreed it had a slight Chinese food flavor to it. The kids put mayo and provolone cheese on theirs and the adults used mayo and lettuce. While the filling was good "as is" the mayo definitely complimented the flavors. We also thought the meat would be good served over rice or noodles. Thanks for sharing!
Like the other reviewer, I used boneless, skinless chicken breasts (my family won't eat anyother piece of the chicken) Very easy and good main. Served with oven fries. Thanks for posting. Made for 123 wonders game.