Recipe by Lakme
Chicken cooked pot roast style, with a wonderful savory sauce. I was inspired to invent this when I bought a friend's homemade mustard at my local Farmer's Market. It turned out delicious and different enuf I thot it was worth posting.
- 1 whole chicken, cut into pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup strong coffee
- 3⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (I use dark, mushroom-flavored available at asian markets)
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard (whole-grain is great)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat olive oil in a heavy, dutch oven-type pan. Saute onion and garlic until transparent.
- Add chicken pieces a few at a time and brown them.
- Add the remaining ingredients except for mustard. Liquid should be about halfway up the meat.
- Heat until simmering.
- Cover the pan and turn the heat to low.
- Cook for 1 1/2 - 2 hours until meat is tender. Check once or twice and add broth if liquid is be,ow half-way up chicken.
- Take off cover, remove chicken, add mustard to liquid. Return chicken to pan and simmer for 5 more minutes.