Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
My entry for a Hidden Valley Ranch recipe contest. The secret-weapon ingredient in this recipe IS Hidden Valley Original Ranch Dressing. It gives the filling a savory, succulent butter flavor -- without the heaviness of butter-and-cream-based pies.
- 1892.0 ml boiling water, moderately salted
- 7.39 ml poultry seasoning, divided
- 236.59 ml red potatoes, cut to 1/2-inch dice
- 236.59 ml celery, cut to 1/2-inch dice
- 236.59 ml button mushroom, sliced to 1/4-inch
- 29.58 ml fresh chives, snipped
- 29.58 ml fresh parsley, minced
- 354.88 ml frozen mixed vegetables
- 177.44 ml frozen petite whole onion
- 2 (793.78 g) can chicken broth
- 236.59 ml cold water
- 177.44 ml all-purpose flour
- 78.07 ml Hidden Valley® Original Ranch® Dressing
- 4.92 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 4.92 ml paprika
- remaining poultry seasoning
- 0.59 ml ground turmeric
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 (680.38 g) canpremium chunk chicken breasts, in water
- 425.24 g packagerefrigerated roll-out pie crusts
- 1 beaten egg
- 14.79 ml water
- NOTE: THIS MAY BE PREPARED AS ONE LARGE CHICKEN POT PIE IF DESIRED (THOUGH I PREFER THE NEATER, VISUALLY IMPRESSIVE INDIVIDUAL PIES). TO PREPARE A FAMILY-SIZED PIE, POUR FILLING INTO GREASED 9 X 13 BAKING DISH THEN TOP WITH A PASTRY, PUFF PASTRY OR BISCUIT DOUGH (SEE PHOTOS, BUT I DON'T PARTICULARLY CARE FOR THE BISCUIT DOUGH VARIATION -- SOGGY, CHEWY AND JUST "MEH" -- DON'T SAY I DIDN'T WARN YOU!). (STEP ONE): PREHEAT oven to 425°F ; SELECT 5-6 ovenproof bowls or ramekins to hold 1 1/2 cups filling, leaving at least 3/4 inch space free below bowl rims.
- PREP the fresh vegetables to specifications.
- IN a large saucepan with lid over medium heat, add the salted water, 3/4 teaspoon of the poultry seasoning (reserving 3/4 teaspoon) and all vegetables; BRING to a full boil; REDUCE heat to medium; COVER and cook until vegetables are firm-tender (about 3 minutes); REMOVE from heat; DRAIN vegetables in a colander placed in sink (let set until needed).
- IN the same large saucepan, combine the chicken broth and cold water; VIGOROUSLY whisk the flour until smooth; ADD the Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing, Worcestershire sauce, paprika, the remaining 3/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning, and ground turmeric; BRING to a boil; REDUCE heat to medium-low; COOK mixture, whisking as needed, until fully thickened.
- FOLD in the drained vegetables and canned chicken including broth, until blended; SEASON to taste; SIMMER for 5 minutes.
- SPRINKLE a large cutting board or clean flat surface with flour; UNROLL the pie dough and place one segment on a floured surface; ARRANGE inverted bakeware bowls or ramekins over dough; CUT around the perimeter of the bowls using a sharp knife; REPEAT with remaining dough to yield 6 circular crusts (re-roll dough scraps if necessary).
- SET bowls on baking sheets; SPRAY bowl interiors with non-stick cooking spray; POUR 1 1/2 cups filling into bowls, distributing evenly; PLACE and pat dough circles over filling to cover, levelly to the edges of baking dish -- with the excess dough turned upward into a "lip"; SEAL edges well.
- WHISK one egg with 1 tablespoon water for the GLAZE; BRUSH dough crust tops evenly and thoroughly for even browning; CUT slits around the center of each prepared pastry to vent.
- BAKE pies on the center oven rack for 30 minutes, or until golden brown; LET pies cool slightly before serving.
- SERVE and enjoy.