1/3 Photos of Savory Chicken Pot Pies
1 hr 10 mins
The Spice Guru's Note:
My entry for a Hidden Valley Ranch recipe contest. The secret-weapon ingredient in this recipe IS Hidden Valley Original Ranch Dressing. It gives the filling a savory, succulent butter flavor -- without the heaviness of butter-and-cream-based pies.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 quarts boiling water, moderately salted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons poultry seasoning, divided
- 1 cup red potatoes, cut to 1/2-inch dice
- 1 cup celery, cut to 1/2-inch dice
- 1 cup button mushroom, sliced to 1/4-inch
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, snipped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- 1 1/2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 3/4 cup frozen petite whole onion
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 cup cold water
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup Hidden Valley® Original Ranch® Dressing
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- remaining poultry seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 (12 ounce) cans premium chunk chicken breasts, in water
- 1 (15 ounce) package refrigerated roll-out pie crusts
- 1NOTE: THIS MAY BE PREPARED AS ONE LARGE CHICKEN POT PIE IF DESIRED (THOUGH I PREFER THE NEATER, VISUALLY IMPRESSIVE INDIVIDUAL PIES). TO PREPARE A FAMILY-SIZED PIE, POUR FILLING INTO GREASED 9 X 13 BAKING DISH THEN TOP WITH A PASTRY, PUFF PASTRY OR BISCUIT DOUGH (SEE PHOTOS, BUT I DON'T PARTICULARLY CARE FOR THE BISCUIT DOUGH VARIATION -- SOGGY, CHEWY AND JUST "MEH" -- DON'T SAY I DIDN'T WARN YOU!). (STEP ONE): PREHEAT oven to 425°F ; SELECT 5-6 ovenproof bowls or ramekins to hold 1 1/2 cups filling, leaving at least 3/4 inch space free below bowl rims.
- 2PREP the fresh vegetables to specifications.
- 3IN a large saucepan with lid over medium heat, add the salted water, 3/4 teaspoon of the poultry seasoning (reserving 3/4 teaspoon) and all vegetables; BRING to a full boil; REDUCE heat to medium; COVER and cook until vegetables are firm-tender (about 3 minutes); REMOVE from heat; DRAIN vegetables in a colander placed in sink (let set until needed).
- 4IN the same large saucepan, combine the chicken broth and cold water; VIGOROUSLY whisk the flour until smooth; ADD the Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing, Worcestershire sauce, paprika, the remaining 3/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning, and ground turmeric; BRING to a boil; REDUCE heat to medium-low; COOK mixture, whisking as needed, until fully thickened.
- 5FOLD in the drained vegetables and canned chicken including broth, until blended; SEASON to taste; SIMMER for 5 minutes.
- 6SPRINKLE a large cutting board or clean flat surface with flour; UNROLL the pie dough and place one segment on a floured surface; ARRANGE inverted bakeware bowls or ramekins over dough; CUT around the perimeter of the bowls using a sharp knife; REPEAT with remaining dough to yield 6 circular crusts (re-roll dough scraps if necessary).
- 7SET bowls on baking sheets; SPRAY bowl interiors with non-stick cooking spray; POUR 1 1/2 cups filling into bowls, distributing evenly; PLACE and pat dough circles over filling to cover, levelly to the edges of baking dish -- with the excess dough turned upward into a "lip"; SEAL edges well.
- 8WHISK one egg with 1 tablespoon water for the GLAZE; BRUSH dough crust tops evenly and thoroughly for even browning; CUT slits around the center of each prepared pastry to vent.
- 9BAKE pies on the center oven rack for 30 minutes, or until golden brown; LET pies cool slightly before serving.
- 10SERVE and enjoy.
Browse Our Top Low Cholesterol Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Low Cholesterol Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Savory Chicken Pot Pies
Serving Size: 1 (856 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 754.7
- Calories from Fat 373
- Total Fat 41.4 g
- Saturated Fat 10.1 g
- Cholesterol 107.9 mg
- Sodium 1073.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.6 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 36.5 g