Recipe by Scoutie
I watched Paula Deen and her guest, Rodney Henry, make this and it looked soooo good! Plus they had such a good time making it. LOL I know there are quite a few good chicken pot pie recipes out there, but when I have the time, I love to roast this chicken and make this home-made pie crust. Otherwise, using a store-bought chicken and pie crust works just fine. From Food Network. Hope you enjoy! UPDATE: I meant to correct the measurements of the crust, I have done so now. Sorry for this mishap.
Top Review by berry725
This was super easy as I made a few changes. I used the pie crust recipe from Thomas Keller's Ad Hoc cookbook, which uses butter instead of shortening. I bought 2 rotisserie chickens and used only the breast meat. I am not sure that I would use the entire 2-1/2 cups of heavy cream next time, maybe just 2 cups. I had to pour some of it off after I cut the first piece. It does need to set-up for about 30 minutes before you cut into it...it's still very warm! Again, this was super easy and amazingly wonderful! Enjoy!
- 3 whole carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 vidalia onions, quartered
- 1 (3 lb) whole chickens
- 1⁄8 cup kosher salt, can use more if needed
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 sprigs fresh sage
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 4 red potatoes, sliced thin
- 3⁄4 cup corn
- 1⁄2 cup peas
- 2 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for work surface
- 1⁄2 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable shortening
- 1⁄2 cup ice cold water
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- For the chicken:.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Stuff onions and carrots into the cavity of the chicken. Rub salt, black pepper and butter into skin of chicken. Place rosemary sprigs under the skin and place into a roasting pan. Place sage on top of chicken and roast for 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove the chicken from the oven. Transfer to a cutting board and allow to cool.
- For the filling:.
- Place carrots and potatoes on sheet pan and season with salt and pepper. Place into the preheated oven and roast until caramelized.
- When chicken has cooled, discard the onions, carrots, sage and rosemary.
- Pull the chicken meat off the bones and cut into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Place into a large bowl with chicken juice from roasting pan along with potatoes, carrots, peas, corn, heavy cream and flour.
- Mix together well. *Cook's Note: Filling will be thick.
- For the crust:.
- Knead all ingredients together in a large bowl, slowly adding the water.
- Divide into 2 pieces and roll out on a lightly floured work surface. One will be the bottom crust, the other the top.
- Place 1 piece of dough into the bottom of a 9-inch pie dish. Add filling and top with the other piece of dough.
- Crimp the edges together with a spoon or a fork.
- Brush the top crust with melted butter and bake in the preheated oven for 50 minutes.