1/1 Photo of Savory Chicken Pot Pie Paula Deen
2 hrs 30 mins
I watched Paula Deen and her guest, Rodney Henry, make this and it looked soooo good! Plus they had such a good time making it. LOL I know there are quite a few good chicken pot pie recipes out there, but when I have the time, I love to roast this chicken and make this home-made pie crust. Otherwise, using a store-bought chicken and pie crust works just fine. From Food Network. Hope you enjoy! UPDATE: I meant to correct the measurements of the crust, I have done so now. Sorry for this mishap.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 whole carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 vidalia onions, quartered
- 1 (3 lb) whole chickens
- 1/8 cup kosher salt, can use more if needed
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 sprigs fresh sage
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 4 red potatoes, sliced thin
- 3/4 cup corn
- 1/2 cup peas
- 2 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1For the chicken:.
- 2Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 3Stuff onions and carrots into the cavity of the chicken. Rub salt, black pepper and butter into skin of chicken. Place rosemary sprigs under the skin and place into a roasting pan. Place sage on top of chicken and roast for 1 1/2 hours.
- 4Remove the chicken from the oven. Transfer to a cutting board and allow to cool.
- 5For the filling:.
- 6Place carrots and potatoes on sheet pan and season with salt and pepper. Place into the preheated oven and roast until caramelized.
- 7When chicken has cooled, discard the onions, carrots, sage and rosemary.
- 8Pull the chicken meat off the bones and cut into 1/2-inch pieces.
- 9Place into a large bowl with chicken juice from roasting pan along with potatoes, carrots, peas, corn, heavy cream and flour.
- 10Mix together well. *Cook's Note: Filling will be thick.
- 11For the crust:.
- 12Knead all ingredients together in a large bowl, slowly adding the water.
- 13Divide into 2 pieces and roll out on a lightly floured work surface. One will be the bottom crust, the other the top.
- 14Place 1 piece of dough into the bottom of a 9-inch pie dish. Add filling and top with the other piece of dough.
- 15Crimp the edges together with a spoon or a fork.
- 16Brush the top crust with melted butter and bake in the preheated oven for 50 minutes.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Savory Chicken Pot Pie Paula Deen
Serving Size: 1 (699 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2726.0
- Calories from Fat 1933
- Total Fat 214.8 g
- Saturated Fat 95.8 g
- Cholesterol 486.2 mg
- Sodium 5109.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 145.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.1 g
- Sugars 14.2 g
- Protein 59.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: