1/2 Photos of Savory Cherry Tomato Pie
1 hr 20 mins
You'll want to double up your piecrust to hold together the flavor-packed filling of this scrumptious savory pie. A cream cheese layer forms the base of the dish, allowing you to get sweet and salty flavors and creamy texture with every bite.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 bacon, strips
- 1 (15 ounce) package rolled refrigerated unbaked pie crusts (2 crust or use home made if you wish)
- 2/3 cup finely shredded parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 4 cups cherry tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 0.5 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 egg yolk, lighlty beaten
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced leaf lettuce
- lemon wedge (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- 2In a large skillet cook bacon until just done but not crisp. Transfer to paper towel; drain. Reserve 1 tablespoons bacon drippings in skillet; set aside.
- 3Let pie crust stand at room temperature for 20 minutes. On a lightly floured surface, stack the two piecrusts. Roll from center to edges to form a 12-inch circle. Wrap pastry around a rolling pin; unroll pastry into a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate. (Sides should be 2 to 2 1/2 inches deep). Ease pastry into pie plate, allowing edges to form a loose ruffled or scalloped effect. Gently press pastry into the bottom of pie plate. Sides will not lay flat against pie plate. Prick bottom of pastry.
- 4Line pastry with a double thickness of foil; bake 10 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes more. Remove, and reduce heat to 375 degrees F. Sprinkle 1/2 cup of the cheese over the piecrust. Place half the bacon slices around the edge of the crust. Set aside.
- 5Cook onion in reserved bacon dripping over medium heat until tender. Drain drippings. Set aside.
- 6Halve 2 cups of the cherry tomatoes, leaving the remaining 2 cups whole. Place the halved and whole tomatoes in a large mixing bowl. Add olive oil, 2 tablespoons of the basil, salt, and 1/4 teaspoons of the pepper. Stir to combine.
- 7In a separate bowl beat together cream cheese, mayonnaise, egg yolk, cooked onion, lemon peel, and remaining Parmesan, basil, and pepper.
- 8Spoon cream cheese mixture into pie crust.Top with tomato mixture. Place the remaining bacon slices among the tomatoes, weaving bacon between tomatoes. Gently press tomatoes and bacon into the cream cheese mixture.
- 9Bake pie until tomatoes just begin to brown, about 35 minutes. (Loosely cover pie with foil if edges brown too quickly.) Let stand 60 minutes.
- 10Top with leaf lettuce shreds and serve with lemon wedges if desired.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Savory Cherry Tomato Pie
Serving Size: 1 (191 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 432.4
- Calories from Fat 280
- Total Fat 31.1 g
- Saturated Fat 9.9 g
- Cholesterol 49.7 mg
- Sodium 684.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 9.1 g