Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
A wonderful tasting side dish, it's like spinach in a bun with cheese... an all-time favorite at our house, and I make this one quite a lot.... even my son, who is not too fond of spinach, loves this cheesy spinach dish...great to serve to guests at a dinner party, your guests will love this side dish.
Top Review by peaceangel_ca
I'm not sure what happened when we cooked these, but they turned out more like an omelet. They were very watery, maybe the spinach needed to be dried off better. I've been looking for a spinach square recipe to make for my DH as he always talks about his mother making them when he was little. I might try making these again but using fresh spinach. Thanks
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup half-and-half or 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 (300 g) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1⁄4 cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 green onion, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter an 11x7-in baking pan.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs; whisk in milk and butter.
- Stir in cheese, spinach, red pepper and onion.
- Pour over flour mixture; stir just until combined.
- Pour into prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until set.
- Let cool 10 minutes.
- Slice into squares.