Prep 5 mins
Cook 7 hrs
I like to garnish this soup with popcorn, croutons, green onions or bacon bits.
Make and share this Savory Cheese Soup (Slow Cooker) recipe from Food.com.
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄3 cup cold water
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, cubed and softened
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 (12 ounce) can beer (optional)
- In slow cooker, combine the first eight ingredients.
- Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours.
- Combine flour and water until smooth; stir into soup.
- Cover and cook on high 30 minutes longer or until soup is thickened.
- Stir in cream cheese and cheddar cheese until blended.
- Stir in beer if desired.
- Cover and cook on low until heated through.
- Serve with desired toppings such as croutons, popcorn, cooked crumbled bacon, sliced green onions.
Totally worth the long wait! It's full of flavor and just the right consistancy. I used the optional beer, but added it right in the beginning (to burn off the alcohol). I used 1/3 less fat cream cheese and sharp cheddar. I garnished with croutons, green onion and bacon bits.....goldfish crackers for the kids. ;) Thanx for sharing. I'll make this again!
This was easily the best homemade soup I have ever made. Perfect consistency, great flavour, and velvety in the mouth. It is a little salty, so next time I will omit the added salt altogether. In my opinion, this great soup doesn't need it--you get all the flavour you need by using old or sharp cheddar.
This soup turned out very bland with the spices and measurements listed. The cooking time was also way too long Andy veggies were mush. This could work with less time and mor kick. It also needed much more cheese.