Prep 5 mins
Cook 7 hrs
I like to garnish this soup with popcorn, croutons, green onions or bacon bits.
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄3 cup cold water
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, cubed and softened
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 (12 ounce) can beer (optional)
- In slow cooker, combine the first eight ingredients.
- Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours.
- Combine flour and water until smooth; stir into soup.
- Cover and cook on high 30 minutes longer or until soup is thickened.
- Stir in cream cheese and cheddar cheese until blended.
- Stir in beer if desired.
- Cover and cook on low until heated through.
- Serve with desired toppings such as croutons, popcorn, cooked crumbled bacon, sliced green onions.
Totally worth the long wait! It's full of flavor and just the right consistancy. I used the optional beer, but added it right in the beginning (to burn off the alcohol). I used 1/3 less fat cream cheese and sharp cheddar. I garnished with croutons, green onion and bacon bits.....goldfish crackers for the kids. ;) Thanx for sharing. I'll make this again!
This was easily the best homemade soup I have ever made. Perfect consistency, great flavour, and velvety in the mouth. It is a little salty, so next time I will omit the added salt altogether. In my opinion, this great soup doesn't need it--you get all the flavour you need by using old or sharp cheddar.
This is totally worth the wait! Made the house smell amazing and tasted great! I now can't believe this is the first time I've made cheese soup, since I'm so obsessed with cheese haha! This was delicious!