Recipe by WJKing
This recipe took grand prize in the April/May 1995 Taste of Home magazine. I just made this for the first time, and my children and husband devoured it! My kids didn't even complain about the vegetables! (they are ages 5 & 4) This one's a keeper! Hope you enjoy it!
Top Review by Angel_wings
MY husband is very picky about his cheese soup. Seeing the other reviews, i dusted onion salt as i saute'd the onions. and as I was stirring the milk mixture i dusted with garlic salt, and seasoning salt. The directions were a bit vague to me, so i did a bit of scrambling, but it all paid off very well in the end. there were no left overs in the smallest degree. Plus it looks so festive as you add the celery and carrots.
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (or seasoned salt)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups milk
- 14 1⁄2 ounces chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup shredded carrot (or diced)
- 1⁄2 cup diced celery
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (6 oz.)
- 3⁄4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- fresh chives (optional) or dried chives (optional)
- cayenne pepper, dash (optional)
- green peppers (optional) or red pepper, chopped (optional)
- potato, chopped (optional)
- other vegetables, as desired
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter till tender.
- Add flour, salt, pepper& garlic powder; stir until smooth.
- Gradually add milk; cook and stir over med.
- heat until thickened& bubbly.
- Bring chicken broth to a boil in a small saucepan.
- Add carrots& celery to broth& simmer 5 minutes or until veggies are tender.
- Add to milk mixture& stir until blended.
- Add cheeses.
- Cook& stir until melted.
- (don't boil).
- Garnish w/ chives if desired.