This recipe took grand prize in the April/May 1995 Taste of Home magazine. I just made this for the first time, and my children and husband devoured it! My kids didn't even complain about the vegetables! (they are ages 5 & 4) This one's a keeper! Hope you enjoy it!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (or seasoned salt)
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups milk
- 14 1/2 ounces chicken broth
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot (or diced)
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (6 oz.)
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- fresh chives (optional) or dried chives (optional)
- cayenne pepper, dash (optional)
- green peppers (optional) or red pepper, chopped (optional)
- potato, chopped (optional)
- other vegetables, as desired
- 1In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter till tender.
- 2Add flour, salt, pepper& garlic powder; stir until smooth.
- 3Gradually add milk; cook and stir over med.
- 4heat until thickened& bubbly.
- 5Bring chicken broth to a boil in a small saucepan.
- 6Add carrots& celery to broth& simmer 5 minutes or until veggies are tender.
- 7Add to milk mixture& stir until blended.
- 8Add cheeses.
- 9Cook& stir until melted.
- 10(don't boil).
- 11Garnish w/ chives if desired.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Savory Cheese Soup
Serving Size: 1 (272 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 447.4
- Calories from Fat 293
- Total Fat 32.6 g
- Saturated Fat 20.1 g
- Cholesterol 101.0 mg
- Sodium 1036.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 22.7 g