Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
A wonderful blend of veggies and cheese that will have your family asking for more!
- 8 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 large sweet onion
- 3 large carrots (peeled and chopped)
- 3 large celery ribs (chopped)
- 1 red bell pepper (chopped)
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened and cubed
- 3 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- Melt 4 tablespoons of Butter in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add Garlic power, onions, celery and carrots. Cook over medium heat about 8 minutes, or until vegetables are semi-soft.
- Add Red Pepper and cook another 2-3 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, stir, place lid on pot and lower heat to low.
- Meanwhile, melt 4 tablespoons of butter in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add flour and stir constantly.
- Once it is a pasty substance, add milk SLOWLY!
- Once the milk is incorporated and it looks like a thick gravy, add cream cheese; remove from heat.
- Remove the lid from the broth and veggie mixture and remove a ladle at a time of the soup and add to the cream cheese mixture, (totaling about 4 ladles).
- Once the cream cheese mixture has been tempered, add it back into the soup and combine.
- Add the cheddar and stir until all cheese is melted.
Yum! we had this tonight as a start to a fish dinner. Was very good. I didn't follow the directions the exact way because I had cheese sauce left over from the other night. All the ingredients were the same though except I used green bell pepper and I added peas. Very good soup. Will probably make agian