Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is an adopted recipe from Mean Chef. Mean Chefs words are: These little tid-bits are just plain yummy! They are great to fix when you are camping, or at home! Cooks Note: Bocconcini are small balls of fresh mozzarella. If they are unavailable, cut 8 ounces fresh mozzarella into 1-inch cubes.
- 32 crackers, preferably whole wheat
- 1⁄4 cup purchased sun-dried tomato pesto or 1⁄4 cup olive tapenade
- 16 fresh basil leaves (optional)
- 16 bocconcini (see Note)
- For Camp Fire:.
- For each s'more, set out two crackers and spread one with about 1 teaspoon of pesto or olive spread. Top with a basil leaf, if using.
- Spear a cheese ball or cube on a long stick or skewer. If using fresh mozzarella, squeeze cheese with a paper towel to remove excess water.
- Hold skewered cheese over an open fire or very hot coals. Cook for about 2 minutes, turning skewers to soften and brown cheese evenly on all sides.
- Using a dry cracker, a fork or a knife, scrape cheese onto cracker with spread and basil leaf.
- Top with second cracker to make a sandwich. Eat immediately.
- For Home:.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Use 16 thin slices of baguette in place of crackers. Top each slice with a bit of pesto or tapenade, then a piece of cheese.
- Cook in oven 8 to 10 minutes, until bread is crisp and cheese is melted.
- If desired, finish under broiler for a golden top. Garnish with shredded basil.