Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
The biscuits will rise to double the thickness, about 1 inch high. Split in middle and rub with butter and then place together. An absolutely great biscuit that can be served with soup or along with your main course. I developed this recipe about 25 years ago.
- 29.58 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 177.44 ml cake-and-pastry flour
- 177.44 ml all-purpose flour
- 2.46 ml baking powder
- 9.85 ml italian seasoning mix
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1.23 ml baking soda
- 1.23 ml black pepper
- 78.07 ml chilled butter
- 118.29 ml freshly grated parmesan cheese (, Parmigiano Reggiano cheese is preferred)
- 78.07 ml grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 158.51 ml buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 425 F degrees.
- Lightly grease an oven baking sheet with olive oil.
- In a large mixing bowl, add both flours, baking powder, Italian herb seasoning mix, salt, baking soda and pepper.
- Stir with a fork until well mixed.
- Cut in butter using a pastry blender or a fork until pastry resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in Parmesan cheese and cheddar cheese.
- Gently fold in buttermilk until well blended.
- Gather dough into a ball.
- On a lightly floured surface, gently knead dough 8 to 10 times.
- Dough will be slightly sticky.
- Roll out dough into a circle about 1/2 inch thick.
- Using a 1 1/2 inch cookie cutter, punch out dough.
- Place on greased cookie sheet about 1/2 inch apart.
- Gather up scraps of dough and re-roll and cut out remaining biscuits.
- Place on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated 425 F oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve biscuits hot with butter.
- If you prefer bite-size biscuits, then use a 1 1/4 inch cutter or make your own using the top of a spray can, there are many varieties of sprays to choose from. Just cut part of the top off so that you can clean easier.
- When cutting, dip the cutter into flour each time.
How good are these!!! Thanks so much for sharing, these biscuits went perfectly with my Butternut Squash soup with smoked cheddar this evening for dinner, really yummy, and quite easy to prepare :-)
These biscuits are great tasting and very easy to make. How you are supposed to get 30 biscuits is beyond me. I only got about 10.
These biscuits were an easy and very flavorful addition to my meal. I followed the directions exactly and they turned out great!